Thursday, May 6, 2010

Good news, good news!

Had my follow-up appointment with Dr. Campbell, the chemo guy. My concerns going into the appointment were that he'd tell me I'd have to keep the port in my chest for up to 1 more year, and that he'd 'strongly recommend' that I go on tamoxifen for 5 years. But I got good news for both! Yea!

The chest port is the 'convenient' device they (you know, 'they') installed under my skin near my collar bone so that instead of poking around for a vein in my arm at every treatment and blood draw, a poke in the port is a direct line to my jugular vein. It's convenient for the chemo folks, but no one else seems to know how to use it - or, sometimes, what it really is. That, and it's pretty goofy-lookin' - a 1 inch square bulge that stands a good 1/2 inch above the rest of my chest. Lovely! Dr. Campbell usually likes to keep it in for 6-12 months "just in case" (given my tumor staging), but a sympathetic nurse practitioner was in my corner today. So the port's coming out on Monday morning!! I can't believe I'm actually excited about a surgery. Weird.

As far as the tamoxifen... it's a drug that interferes with estrogen in the body. It's actually sometimes used for fertility issues (just what we don't need!) as it stimulates the ovaries to produce estrogen, but it also works to block the estrogen receptors in the cells. Because my tumor was estrogen-receptor positive (100%, thank you very much!), tamoxifen would be highly effective in stopping the growth of any estrogen-receptor positive cancer cells in my body. All well and good, except it also is just another foreign substance in my system creating potential nasty side-effects. So the question was: is the added benefit of taking the tamoxifen significant to warrant navigating side-effects for the next 5 years? Statistically, taking taxoxifen will reduce the chance of a recurrance by up to 50%, but if I only have a 5-10% higher risk of recurrance than the general population, then it only helps by about 2-7% - if I'm going the math correctly.

The nurse practitioner said she'd check with Dr. Campbell what exactly my 'numbers' looked like so I could have a good figure by which to base my decision. When she came back, she was very surprised by what Dr. Campbell had told her. His answer was that though my tumor was fairly large, we had treated it very aggressively - bilateral mastectomy, chemo, and radiation. So the chance of it coming back was already reduced significantly and that if I didn't want to take the drug, he could really argue against that decision. Yea! His response certainly made the decision easy.

So there we go. Just like that, I'm feeling completely free and clear of my cancer treatments. Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for you all! Such good news! Happy Mother's Day to you.
    God bless,
    ~Michelle Norquist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda I just want to say you have handled all that has been put on your plate with grace. I am so happy to hear the good news. Take Care. Happy Mother's Day. Ramona Hinton

    ReplyDelete