Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Eeeee!

Hear me screaming like a school girl?? That's because I found fuzz on my head!! Yea! It was confirmed by Josh that I wasn't seeing things or looking at a funny reflection in the mirror: I have fuzz on my head where before there was none. Aaaaaahhhhh! I have no idea why it's there because this taxotere drug seems to rip through my system, but if it's leaving my follicles in tact, I'm not complaining. Now.... how should I arrange the fuzz today? Hmmm. :)

All in all, the last couple of weeks have been pretty uneventful. I tried to do 'normal' last week and petered out by Friday. So...back on the couch playing Wii Boom Bloks again. Nothin' wrong with that.

We rented a small storage unit on Wolverine & Belding so we'll start boxing stuff up and bringing it over there in small loads since Josh goes right past there to work all the time. We're shooting to be out of the house by mid to late February with a few big moves to the storage unit and the Kenyons in between (did I mention we'll be at the Kenyon's? You know us, if there's a party to be had, we'll have it at the Kenyon's! How apropo that we'd move in for a while!). Don't worry, if we need help, we know how to find you - any of you - no one will be safe! Just kidding! Closing on the house will be on the 29th. The radon test, which came back high, was taken care of over the weekend.

So let's talk about radon - another good cancer topic. Radon's a odorless, tasteless, invisible gas released by decomposing matter in the ground. Usually it dissipates, but if it doesn't, levels over 4 are dangerous (sorry don't know the unit of measure for radon gas. Something per cubic something??). Radon gas is believed to be the second-most cause of lung cancer, so you can see why it's such a concern. We've always had levels of about 3something and felt 'when we could afford it' we'd take care of it (kinda like waiting to have kids until you can 'afford' them, huh? Not gonna happen). To get rid of the gas, a pipe & fan can be installed that runs from the basement out the roof somewhere which can be costly. What the new, soon-to-be owners of our house learned is that with our high-efficiency furnace we had put in a few years ago, it creates a vacuum trapping the gas in the basement/house. To fix this all that needed to be done was to drill a big hole in the basement foundation near the furnace and run a pipe up outside the house to the roofline. The hole releases the pressure creating a negative vacuum (I think) that draws everything to that pipe and therefore out to the outside. We'll do one or two more tests to see if it worked, but we're pretty confident. If not, we'll have to go with the more expensive solution instead.

So that's been our week. I'm dreading Thursday as it's another treatment. I'll call the nurse again today to ask about taking the steroids this time. It certainly cleared up the burning hand issue, but Josh really didn't like dealing with me on steroids. He figured I probably didn't realize how low I actually got. So like me: deny anything negative. So I'll ask about that. The other question for the nurse is about my sinuses/mouth. My tongue is the obvious problem, but I noticed that my sinuses seemed to get 'burned' and takes a long time to recover. Such tender tissue - will it survive?

But if my hair's surviving... I'm sure there's a drug for all the other stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment