Thursday, January 28, 2010

Caught a Bug

I made the mistake of taking my temperature yesterday. But I learned that they take 'temperatures' very seriously over in the oncology department!

I was feeling the usual aches that come the days following treatment, but for whatever reason, they were different aches. That, combined with the fact that usually on Tuesday/Wednesday I'm feeling better, and I was feeling pretty crappy. So on a whim I took my temp. 100.5 Low-grade, but in chemo-world that's the red-flag number. I phoned the doctors office and told them the temp and asked if I should freak out or if there was something I needed to do. Given the fact, too that I didn't have the 'day after shot' of neulasta to boost the white blood count I think caused concern. I was instructed to go get my blood drawn to check the profile ASAP. Meanwhile I remembered I could take an ibuprofen and was feeling much better, thank you very much. So I went home, took a nap, and waited for them to tell me if I should 'freak out.'

Josh woke me up soon after and told me we were off the the ER. Lovely. You can imagine how excited we were for that! Long story short, I got a heavy-duty dose of antibiotics and sent home with two other antibiotics and strict instructions not to go near germs, to come in immediately if my temp "spiked," (to a whoppin' 101) and not to take an more ibuprofen/tylenol in case it was masking any infections.

So while I say I wish I never took my temp - that I shoulda just taken an ibuprofen, gotten a good shoulder rub and called it good - their response to my low temp was significant. Apparently when your WBC counts are low and you show signs of illness, it can get out of hand in a hurry. So I appreciate their precautions. I suppose I'm just not accustomed to so much fuss over a few stiff muscles and a headache.

Today I'm feeling significantly better, so I gotta believe I really was fighting something!

Met with the radiation oncologist, Dr. Kastner, today also. Looks like the plan is that after my last chemo on Feb. 11 I'll go downstairs for 'mapping.' I'm not quite sure what that means other than they'll add a few tatoos on me (sorry, no roses or "I love Mom" - just tiny dots) and begin the creation of the virtual me that they'll use to figure the tangents, etc for zapping the potentially cancerous lymph nodes and tissues. Yes, it'll be as fun as it sounds. Treatments won't actually start until mid-March, however, because we're finally taking the kids on the Disney trip we promised when Josh started seminary. Yea!

Here's how that went:
Dad's going to seminary: ok
We'll go to Disney when he's done: YEA
Dad has an extra internship this summer: boo
So we'll go at the end of summer: YEA
But Mom got cancer and needs surgery: boo
So we'll go in between treatments: YEA

Gotta love it!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Amanda: I think of you and your family often in my prayers. I to am reading that devotional book. I started Jan 1st. I have to admit somestimes the devotation for the day is a bit deep for me but other times just like you a light comes on. thank you for sharing your journey. Take Care. Ramona

    ReplyDelete