Friday, January 8, 2010

Out of the fog

After many days of not feeling like myself and feeling sorry for whatever 'self' I was, I'm glad to report the fog has lifted!

Note to self: steroids, bad!
And... I make a very bad druggy.

I was humbled today. I was reminded by a very good friend of my blessings and my short-comings. It reiterated what I was reading about 'suffering' (probably not a good topic when feeling sorry for one's self!) - that growth comes out of suffering.

I am not an empathetic person. But with each experience, each bit of suffering, I'm taught to be more empathetic. I can appreciate how one might feel when they see themselves as 'different'; I have a small taste of what it may be like to not be able to use your hands like you want to; I can say, "I know exactly what you mean!" when I hear that someone struggles with depression symptoms, or lives every day with medical concerns. At the same time, while I think that I can say, "ya, me too," I know that I can never fully walk in another's shoes, but I'm learning that I need to quit talking and start listening better.

I struggle, yes. But it's a struggle for a little while. My prayer is that my small bit of suffering may stay with me so that I may never forget the lessons I am learning as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment