Friday, September 11, 2009

The date has been set

So, it's been decided: Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 1 pm "The Surgery" will happen. In some ways there's a great deal of relief to know that this will happen, but in many more ways it's a very surreal thing. As my brother-in-law said about his open heart surgery: It's all surreal until it's all over.

The thing that's hardest to wrap my head around right now is all of our schedules! We (now regrettably) decided before the fact to sign both girls up for soccer this fall. Combine that with Noah's football, all the new school expectations, pending needs-planning, and doctor's appointments and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! I'm accustomed to NO schedule, more of a rhythm, and this throws it all out of whack!

Immediate needs that I can think of:
1. A dog walker/runner on and after Sept 23
2. Help every Sunday morning. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to church after surgery and with Josh leading worship, I'll be alone with the kids every Sunday. I'll need help getting the little ones to church, but then a hand at home (or something) during the other service. Basically I'll need help from about 8:00 until 12:30/1:00 or thereabouts.

I'll be adding information on how people can help us with child care, carpooling, meals, cleaning, etc., etc. I'm wishing it can be an interactive thing, but haven't found that option yet. So check back often, if you'd be so kind!

So that's where we are! It's amazing to see God's hand working, but we have certainly been scratching our heads over it all as well. Sometimes we see the silver lining (God) and other times we despair to consider what may lie ahead. We had a showing to sell our house this afternoon, and as Sam Huizenga said, "What IS God up to??"

I thank God for the many people who have spoken or given me words of comfort in the last few weeks. It's unbelievable sometimes how God's people can support one other. Thank you for letting God's love reach me, through you!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda-It's good to read your new blog this morning. "What IS God up to?" We wondered the same about Nate's accident. All I can come up with is...CHANGE. God changes the way we live and look at life. I will continue to pray for you and your family as you deal with these changes. CINDY LOUWS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely! Early on Pastor Jon asked how it was to go to church. My answer was that it was a very hard place to be - you're vulnerable already and then to feel like you have a target on your chest (pardon the pun!). So...how do you make church a comfortable place for people who are hurting? We'd never know how to respond to people if we'd not been there ourselves, right? This is one thing we've learned from it already. God's got his plan, we're just following along at this point.
    Thanks for the love, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,
    We would love to do some dog walking for you. Let us know when. Bev Broersma
    It's telling me to select a profile, and I have no idea what that means, so I hope you get to see this.(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how this works either, so maybe we should pick up the phone - or walk over! Novel idea, huh?

    Abby is suppose to be responsible for the dog, but she's 8 and doesn't fully grasp the needs of the dog. She takes him for 1-2 10 minute walks, but I'd like him to get a good, long walk in a few times a week or more. He seems to poop out after 1-2 miles either walked or w/ me running him while I roller blade or bike.
    I'll try to give you a call and we'll play it by ear.
    Thanks so much! You may be able to keep Josh from killing (or at least giving away) the dog!

    ReplyDelete