Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Way in the WIlderness

From Praying Through Cancer devotional book that my sister gave me. This particular day has stuck with me so I thought I'd share it:

*********************
I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. John 14:18

When I learned I had breast cancer, I was in the midst of studying about the people of Israel. God had a plan to bring them out of Egypt, but oh how they grumbled about where they ended up - in the wilderness. It seemed to me that if I rebelled against this bend in the road, I, like the Israelites, would be grumbling against God's goodness and purpose. So I determined to follow Him and trust His provision wherever He chose to lead me. He did provide for me there - the skillful surgeon, the many who prayed for me, the support of my family. It seemed like such a victory, and I thought I was home free.

Then I saw my oncologist, and the treatment options he laid before me seemed overwhelming. Again I was in the wilderness, not because God was leading me there, but because I ran there out of fear. God did not leave me alone. He gave me clear direction regarding the course of treatment to follow.

The big battle for me has been, and continues to be, in my mind - not to let fear overwhelm me, not to dwell on the what-ifs, but to count on God's character and His promises, which are sure.

***********

Another verse that has struck me is this in Isaiah 49:16
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.

I know that as I walk this journey with God, His hand holds mine and has my name engraved on it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    This is a verse we are praying for you..."For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
    Love to you, Josh and the kids...

    Cristi and Gary Miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Amanda,

    That is a powerful devotion. Thank you for sharing. I think some of that fear is in all of us.

    Love you!
    Mom Kramer

    ReplyDelete