Friday, October 16, 2009

Finally! A good day!! (Thurs)

Today (Thursday) was the first chemo treatment, and it was easy! Can you believe!! The nurse said the weekend is when I'll feel a little gross, but "we have prescriptions for that!" Drugs, drugs, drugs.

We got there and asked the nurse, Wendy, to talk us through what was going to happen and what to expect. She explained each of the drugs and what they may do - most of it went over my head. I like biology, not chemistry. Bottom line, they'll give me the drugs I need and go from there, wherever "there" takes us. What I'm getting is 'highly nauseating' (you medical people can remind me what the technical term for that is) so they gave me an anti-nausea capsule while I was there (Emend) and I'll continue that for the next 2 days. In addition there's 2 prescriptions for others that I can take (one for day and one for night - they think of everything!) if I'm not feeling just right. She, Wendy, said most women report it to be similar to morning sickness. So for being a bad drug addict, I certainly have an arsenal!

Usually, we're told, since I had treatment on Thursday, I'll feel gross on Sat, Sun, Mon and then may just be fatigued or feeling like I have the flu after that. I had been concerned that I wouldn't be able/capable of doing much exercise (which I'm missing already) and she seemed to feel that *probably* I'd do just fine. I may have to adjust my goals a bit, but at least I'd be exercising. Fighting through fatigue will be "easier" to overcome (a mental hurdle in many ways) with chemo than post-surgeries when you're trying to repair, etc. (a physical hurdle).

Overall, I felt that this process will be do-able. I understand that as you go along, the fatigue and all accumulates so it doesn't get any easier. BUT, today was a good day! And they've seen it all and know what to do to help out to minimize side effects - yea!

One treatment down!!

Prayer requests:
Health for our family - and probably for yours as well!
Good, solid sleep each night

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to hear that you had a "good day"! Praying that you can claim many, many of those on this new journey you find yourself on. Always good to have a cabinet full of drugs...just in case =). Your positive attitude Amanda is another 'feel good drug' ~ keep it up. Blessings on you and yours, Jan Kok

    ReplyDelete