Monday, October 5, 2009

Medical Oncologist

I'm exhausted after a LONG appointment today with the medical oncologist, Dr. Mark Campbell. It wasn't so much that he had a lot to say, but that he was running behind - WAY behind. Our appt. was at 4:15, but I think we actually met him closer to 6:30. Poor man looked exhausted. We (Lisa, Josh, and I) were having a blast in the room playing hangman on the whiteboard. The nurses even felt so bad about our wait that they found huge chocolate chip cookies and brand new whiteboard markers for us!

The medical oncologist is basically "The Chemo Man." He had wonderful analogies about dandelions and how their seeds spread across your lawn and all over, and the only way to kill the seeds is by spraying a lot of chemical to kill those and any other weed. I may expound on it all another time, but for now, that's his way of explaining why they use a lot of drugs to kill the little bitty cancer cells randomly spread (potentially) in the body - just like dandelion seeds in your lawn.

What we learned is that he has 5 'choice' drugs in mind to use over a course of 6 months. The first two months is a dosage of 3 drugs given every 2 weeks, then a second round of 2 kinds of drugs given every 3 weeks. Each 'session' takes about 3-4 hrs to receive, a shot the day after to assist in rebuilding your white blood cell count, and, "by-the-way, we'll insert a port under your collar bone a few days before we start so that we don't have to keep poking you." Then he whipped out his Blackberry and said, "So do you want to start Monday or Thursday?" WHAAA! We have life we've already planned on!

Right now the whole thing basically puts my body into a shaky, shocky kind of response. My legs shake, teeth chatter, and I shiver all over. Dr. Campbell assures us that the whole chemo process has been refined so that, while you still lose hair, etc., the nausea is not an issue. He anticipated that it's mostly fatigue that's the hard part. He equated it to the last month of pregnancy - for 6 months. Thankfully I've had good pregnancies, so.... :) not sure I can draw parallel conclusions, but it helps me understand that busy days will be functional, but tiring - and so you rest the next day.

I'll try to fill in the rest of the medical knowledge we gleaned today ('cause I like that kind of stuff!) when I'm not so tired. Unless it doesn't seem so interesting tomorrow. Phew, what a day! Good night, moon!

3 comments:

  1. Amanda- such a typical Dr. comment- Thursday or Monday??? Whenever you decide, know that we are still praying for all of you and God will carry you ON EAGLES WINGS...
    Which reminds me of a story that I read once. A woman had read the scripture (Eagles wings) in the AM during her devotions. Later that day while stopped in her car (somewhere- don't quote me on the nitty gritty details) anyway.. a man got into her car and she started screaming "Feathers, Feathers, Feathers." The man thought she was crazy, so jumped out of the car, and all ended well. So Amanda, if you start screaming "Feathers", I will know what you mean, ( but you may be admitted to a Psych ward!!) Take care and God Bless- Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I just learned last night from my parents of the journey that you are now on, and I contacted Westend this morning to find out if there was a carepage - I'm so glad they sent me your blog so I can keep up and pray for you. We are just starting a similar journey with my dad, who was diagnosed with lung cancer a week ago. We are at Lacks as I write, getting his first chemo treatment and set up for radiation as well. I have been so uplifted by scripture and worship and so close to God in fervent prayer, and I will add you and your family to my prayers for healing. Much love, Andrea (Meyering) DeWard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda (and Josh too, of course). We love you and continue to pray for a complete recovery for you. Just know there are many praying for you and may you feel our arms wrapped around you. God bless. Diane Maat

    ReplyDelete